Cross-a-Pix puzzles can be played interactively on the computer, offering many features and advantages compared to pencil and paper. This section explains everything about how to play Cross-a-Pix on the computer.
Filling and blanking regions
Cross-a-Pix Interactive is played by filling or blanking regions in a grid. First click fills a region, second click displays dots to indicate the region is blank and third click brings the region back to its original state.
Completing row or column
When all squares in a row or a column are completed, a gray triangle will appear and the respective clue (or two clues for DualClue Cross-a-Pix) will automatically check off. To finish the game, all regions must be either filled or blanked according to the rules. When the last region of the puzzle is filled or blanked correctly, a congratulations message together with a thumbnail of the puzzle will pop up.
Using the rulers
Cross-a-Pix Interactive offers horizontal and vertical rulers to help focus on the clues of the row or column being solved. The rulers also contain counters at their tips, showing the number of filled, blanked or empty squares, as well as the number of blocks in the case of DualClue Cross-a-Pix. Rulers may be hidden by selecting the option in the Preferences dialog box as explained below.
All game functions are accessed through the toolbar. For some toolbar buttons, keyboard shortcut keys are also available as listed below. Toolbar may be positioned horizontally or vertically using the rotate button on the left edge, and relocated anywhere in the game by dragging its frame.
Enlarge small puzzles for best viewing on your screen.
Reduce large puzzles for best fit on your screen.
Undo (Keyboard: U)
Go back as many steps in the game as you want.
Redo (Keyboard: R)
Go forward after using Undo as many steps as you want.
Mark squares (Keyboard: 0)
Marking squares is a useful feature, especially in large puzzles, to highlight squares while counting and analyzing rows and columns. When in the Mark square mode, first click marks a square with a small circle and second click unmarks the square by removing the circle.
Clear all marked squares at once.
Restart puzzle to solve from the beginning.
Check puzzle (Keyboard: C)
Check all filled and blanked regions for errors.
Show preview and elapsed solving time.
Show solution of the puzzle. Using this button will also end the game.
Open Preferences dialog box. New preferences will be automatically saved on the computer.
- Auto check completed lines: Check this box to automatically show errors when a row or column is completed.
- Show full rulers: Check this box to show full rulers.
- Sound on: Check this box to turn sound on.
- Pencil: Select for pencil-shaped pointer
- Custom arrow: Select for custom-arrow pointer
- System arrow: Select for system-arrow pointer
Open About dialog box to see puzzle size, difficulty, ID, title and other information.
Open How to play Cross-a-Pix page you are reading now.
Open Print dialog box. New print options will be automatically saved on the computer.
- Puzzle: Select to print puzzle.
- Solution: Select to print solution.
- Current state: Select to print current solution state.
- Preferred image scale: Reduce or enlarge printout.
- Attempt to reduce to page: Check this box to automatically fit large puzzles on a single page. When this box is unchecked, large puzzles will print in multiple pages according to selected scaling.
- Attempt to enlarge to page: Check this box to automatically enlarge small puzzles to fit on a whole page. When this box is unchecked, small puzzles will print according to selected scaling.
- Select optimal orientation: Check this box to automatically select puzzle orientation.
Save puzzle (Keyboard: S)
Save current state of the puzzle.
Logic Puzzles are provided courtesy of www.conceptispuzzles.com.