This page explains how to complete Battleships interactive puzzles.
Battleships puzzles can be played interactively on the computer, offering many features and advantages compared to pencil and paper. This section explains everything about how to play Battleships Interactive.
Filling squares with ship segments or water
Battleships interactive is played by filling squares with ship segments or water. First click fills the square with water, second click fill the square with a ship segment and the third click brings the square back to its original state. Multiple squares may be filled or blanked by dragging the mouse.
Completing ship segments
When filling a square with a ship segment, the square will turn gray indicating it isn’t yet known which part of the ship it is going to be. As gray ship segments become surrounded with water or with other ship segments the color of the gray squares will change to black and their shape will change to show the appropriate ship segment which they represent.
Completing row or column
When all squares in a row or a column are completed, the corresponding number will change to gray. Empty squares in a row or a column may be filled with water by clicking the corresponding number. To finish the game, all squares must be filled with either ship segments or water. When the last square of the puzzle is filled correctly, a congratulations message will pop up.
All game functions are accessed through the toolbar. For some toolbar buttons, keyboard shortcut keys are also available as listed below.
Enlarge small puzzles for best viewing on your screen.
Reduce large puzzles for best fit on your screen.
Undo (Keyboard: U)
Go back as many steps in the game as you want.
Redo (Keyboard: R)
Go forward after using Undo as many steps as you want.
Restart puzzle to solve from the beginning.
Check puzzle (Keyboard: C)
Check all filled and blanked squares for errors.
Show elapsed solving time.
Show solution of the puzzle. Using this button will also end the game.
Open Preferences dialog box. New preferences will be automatically saved on the computer.
- Show ship conflicts: Check this box to automatically show conflicting ship segments during the game.
- Show ship errors: Check this box to automatically show wrong ship segments during the game.
- Auto complete row/column: Check this box to automatically fill with water empty squares in a row or a column when the number of ship segments is correct.
- Auto surround with water: Check this box to automatically fill with water according to the rules empty squares surrounding a ship segment.
Open About dialog box to see puzzle size, difficulty, ID, title and other information.
Open Battleships Interactive page you are reading now.
Open Print dialog box. New print options will be automatically saved on the computer.
- Puzzle: Select to print puzzle.
- Solution: Select to print solution.
- Current state: Select to print current solution state.
- Show fleet: Check this box to show fleet under the puzzle.
- Show water as X: Check this box to show water segments as X.
- Preferred image scale: Reduce or enlarge printout.
- Attempt to reduce to page: Check this box to fit large puzzles on a single page. When this box is unchecked, large puzzles will print in multiple pages according to selected scaling.
- Attempt to enlarge to page: Check this box to fit small puzzles on a whole page. When this box is unchecked, small puzzles will print according to selected scaling.
- Select optimal orientation: Check this box to automatically select puzzle orientation.
Save puzzle (Keyboard: S)
Save current state of the puzzle.
Logic Puzzles are provided courtesy of www.conceptispuzzles.com.